Monday, July 09, 2007

PH4H Betting Rules

In an older thread (http://ph4h.blogspot.com/2006/04/ph4h-betting-manifesto.html), Dara kindly posted the rules of the road for PH4H Betting. I'd like to say that there was a new incarnation of a PH4H bet last week, where in lieu of an empanada or a steak dinner, I offered Dan just a steak if Carlos Zambrano no-hit the Nationals (turned out to be a very short-lived bet, but oh well). Upon realizing that I offered only a steak, Dara and Justin quickly tossed in side dishes for Dan's steak dinner.

I believe that these sorts of bets should be deemed Collective Unilateral Bets, whereby groups of people offer items that together make up the entire bet. As PH4H is all about charity and the homeless (and, of course, empanadas), it's only proper that we save each other money with collective betting.

7 comments:

Andy said...

The "collective bet" is only possible with a full dinner bet, I would assume? One cannot bet part of an empanada or are we just splitting cost?

Jason said...

Well, I think Dara addressed most of the elements of your question. You can bet part of an empanada, but that would just be dumb. Dara addressed combining betting currencies, like offering a regular empanada AND a dessert empanada. The collective part of this would come in if you offered me a regular empanada and then someone else offered me a dessert empanada.

dara said...

The dinner was just the perfect example. Dan bet Jason the steak, then Justin offered the potato and I offered the soda -- thereby making a meal. I think that a collective bet could also encompass things like an empanada and lemonade or a Cristian Guzman bobblehead and a twinkie.

And I think there have been bets for a quarter of an empanada before, but it was unwieldy.

violindan said...

I can't wait to bet someone the injured-thumb part of a Guzman bobblehead.

Steve said...

Caroline and I have taken to betting a Virginia Scratcher lottery (cash value of $2). This has worked nicely for us. You always could win thousands! And plus everyone likes instant lotto ticktes. I'm willing to propose a pilot program for this as a new PH4H betting currency.

Steve said...

Clarification: I had a typo but I mean to say one of those small tickets that you scratch off with a coin. I believe they are referred to as Instant Lottery tickets.

Jason said...

Ummm, if that's not what would have been meant by "Virginia Scratcher," then I don't want to know what a "Virginia Scratcher" is.