Thursday, July 05, 2007

Best Baseball Memories Ever!

Sitting at the Cubs game, I mean Nationals game, the other night, we started making a list of cool things we've experienced in baseball, and a wonderful trip down memory lane ensued. After getting a suggestion that I make a top 10 list and deciding that I am incapable of coming up with 10 things, I offer instead my top baseball memory.

Just for the record, a close second has to be Randy Johnson basically blowing up a bird with a fastball. My favorite though was when Robin Ventura got his butt whooped by Nolan Ryan. It's bad enough to get hit by a pitch, but to charge the mound and then have the pitcher leave you bloody and beaten, that's just gotta be demoralizing.

5 comments:

violindan said...

My top memory: Witnessing McGwire's 62nd home run.

Close 2nd: Witnessing Carlos Baerga's 62nd home run (of his 14-year career). OK, just kidding. He hit 134 in his career. But that last one ... all I can say is brave the of home the and.

Justin S. said...

I've seen two truly historic moments in person... Ozzie Smith hitting the only left handed homer of his career in game 5 of the 1985 NLCS....

And watching Roger Clemens get his 300th win... which, while historic, was against my Cardinals.

As for memories that I wasn't there for in person, the biggest is, of course, Wainwright throwing the last strike of the World Series last year.

I concur with Randy Johnson and the bird, and I also enjoyed watching Pedro Martinez throw Don Zimmer to the ground. Also, Tommy Lasorda taking a bat in the stomach and rolling over like a ball when he was 3rd base coach at the all star game.

And, of course, us Cardinals fans have a little chuckle every time we hear the name Steve Bartman.

violindan said...

In case you missed this story about Bartman, it's worth reading.

Jason said...

Actually, if we're talking events of historic significance, I should have included the earthquake during the '89 World Series. I remember watching that live as it happened, though thankfully I was safely watching on tv from Dallas.

dara said...

Carlos Baerga is one of my favorite all-time moments, as was the Nats first opening day. But my favorite memory is probably listening to the Marlins win their first world series on the radio while canoeing the Santa Fe river outside Gainesville.