Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Haikus for Jews

My mom just forwarded me a list of Haikus for Jews. Here's a sampling:

On Passover we
opened the door for Elijah.
Now our cat is gone.

Today I am a man.
Tomorrow I will return
to the seventh grade.

The same kimono
the top geishas are wearing:
I got it at Loehmann's.

The shivah visit:
so sorry about your loss.
Now back to my problems.

Mom, please! There is no
need to put that dinner roll
in your pocketbook.

Seven-foot Jews in
the NBA slam-dunking!
My alarm clock rings.

Quietly murmured
at Saturday Synagogue services,
Yanks 5, Red Sox 3.

5 comments:

violindan said...

Better give credit where it's due: these haikus are from a book. I have a copy if anyone wants to borrow it.

violindan said...

Also, I think someone who forwarded the e-mail decided to add a word, forgetting that there are rules about that. "At Saturday Synagogue services" ... I count 10 syllables.

Jeff said...

Yes, it would appear that either synagogue or Saturday are extraneous to that line. Hadn't seen or heard of the book. Thanks for passing that along.

Justin S. said...

"Now back to my problems" is six syllables.

Jeff said...

Maybe the 'now' wasn't supposed to be there?