Monday, September 24, 2007

Farewell to RFK

Today, a bunch of us went to the last baseball game at RFK Stadium, which was great. But it won't be my favorite memory of the place.

And, although they were all fantastic, my favorite memory has nothing to do with Opening Day 2005, the 10 game winning streak in June, 2005, Ramon Ortiz's near-no hitter (and home run) on Labor Day, 2006, or even Zimm's walk off 3-run home run against the Yankees earlier that season.

No, my favorite RFK memory is this, as retold by Dan:

6 comments:

violindan said...

In finding the recap I discover that I've embellished; the count was 1-0, so I must have been making bets from the moment Baerga entered the on-deck circle. Look for the video link to the home run under the photograph.

dara said...

I think we did start talking about it when Baerga was in the on-deck circle. I thought I remembered the foul ball though. Maybe we confused it with something else. Still, you did have to buy me two empanadas and a lemonade and sing the National Anthem backwards.

And whoa, watching Baerga run the bases brought back bad memories.

DSL said...

How do we know he really sang the national anthem backwards if there's no evidence? I call for a do-over.

violindan said...

There were many witnesses! It happened in February 2006, when we chose ballgames to attend for the 2006 baseball season.

dara said...

Then it's their word versus Debby's, and the court would have to determine which testimony is more credible.

Justin S. said...

I think I MAY recall some sort of national anthem backwards singing, but my memory is a little fuzzy. I think a do-over is warranted.